Gabonese authorities on Tuesday shut down social media nationwide until further notice, citing the spread of misinformation, hateful… The post Gabon shuts down Gabonese authorities on Tuesday shut down social media nationwide until further notice, citing the spread of misinformation, hateful… The post Gabon shuts down

Gabon shuts down social media nationwide over protest and social unrest

2026/02/18 20:21
3분 읽기

Gabonese authorities on Tuesday shut down social media nationwide until further notice, citing the spread of misinformation, hateful speech and content threatening national security.

In a statement on Tuesday, the High Authority for Communication (HAC), through its spokesperson, Jean-Claude Mendome, cited the spread of false information, cyberbullying, and the unauthorised disclosure of personal data as the top reasons for the decision. It noted that online content has influenced unrest and division in the country. 

Amid the social media ban, telecom operators have been instructed to block Gabonese access to popular platforms, including WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram and TikTok, which have shut down activities in the Central African country.

Social Media Ban

The regulator explained that the suspension was necessary to halt the circulation of content that violates the country’s 2016 Communications Code. It added that existing content moderation controls implemented by social media platforms were inadequate.

At a time when social media access becomes pivotal to communications and economic activities, over 850,000 active social media users in Gabon are set to be affected. Data from DataReportal shows that the figure represents about 32.6% of the 2.5 million population. 

In addition, the suspension is set to disrupt the flow of information, slow online transactions and affect other related services that depend on the digital medium.

Also Read: Gabon’s military restores internet access following successful coup.

Why Gabon is shutting down social media

Gabon has been facing social unrest since General Brice Oligui Nguema won presidential elections last year after leading a military coup in 2023. Civil servants, including teachers, have been on strike over pay and working conditions.

School teachers in Gabon began striking in December 2025 over poor pay and working conditions. Similar grievances have started spreading to other public sectors, including health and education at large.

Gabon President - General Brice Oligui NguemaGeneral Brice Oligui Nguema

During last year’s poll, Nguema won with more than 90% of the vote. It comes two years after his coup ended over five decades of rule by the Bongo family. Nguema pledged to reform Gabon, where internet blackouts were used by the previous government to suppress citizens and control the spread of information.

For the first time, the 2025 polls allowed foreign and independent media to film the ballot count during the election.

Meanwhile, the latest social media ban raises renewed concerns over the use of forced digital blackout to control content moderation.

In the statement, Gabonese authorities said the move was promoted by the recurring use of social media platforms to spread conflicts and cyberbullying. Mendome tagged it as “inappropriate, defamatory, hateful, and insulting content that undermines human dignity, social cohesion, the stability of the republic’s institutions, and national security“.

He added that such actions were likely to “generate social conflict and seriously jeopardise national unity, democratic progress, and achievements“. However, Mendome said freedom of expression and the choice to comment and criticise remain a fundamental human right in Gabon.

Social unrest in GabonSocial unrest in Gabon

The Central African country last suffered an internet blackout in August 2023 after the government blocked internet access and imposed a curfew in the 2023 elections, marred by voting delays.

The post Gabon shuts down social media nationwide over protest and social unrest first appeared on Technext.

면책 조항: 본 사이트에 재게시된 글들은 공개 플랫폼에서 가져온 것으로 정보 제공 목적으로만 제공됩니다. 이는 반드시 MEXC의 견해를 반영하는 것은 아닙니다. 모든 권리는 원저자에게 있습니다. 제3자의 권리를 침해하는 콘텐츠가 있다고 판단될 경우, service@support.mexc.com으로 연락하여 삭제 요청을 해주시기 바랍니다. MEXC는 콘텐츠의 정확성, 완전성 또는 시의적절성에 대해 어떠한 보증도 하지 않으며, 제공된 정보에 기반하여 취해진 어떠한 조치에 대해서도 책임을 지지 않습니다. 본 콘텐츠는 금융, 법률 또는 기타 전문적인 조언을 구성하지 않으며, MEXC의 추천이나 보증으로 간주되어서는 안 됩니다.

추천 콘텐츠

Wall Street sets AMD stock price target for next 12 months

Wall Street sets AMD stock price target for next 12 months

The post Wall Street sets AMD stock price target for next 12 months appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. Advanced Micro Devices (NASDAQ: AMD) has been hit hard
공유하기
BitcoinEthereumNews2026/02/19 19:51
Top Solana Treasury Firm Forward Industries Unveils $4 Billion Capital Raise To Buy More SOL ⋆ ZyCrypto

Top Solana Treasury Firm Forward Industries Unveils $4 Billion Capital Raise To Buy More SOL ⋆ ZyCrypto

The post Top Solana Treasury Firm Forward Industries Unveils $4 Billion Capital Raise To Buy More SOL ⋆ ZyCrypto appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. Advertisement &nbsp &nbsp Forward Industries, the largest publicly traded Solana treasury company, has filed a $4 billion at-the-market (ATM) equity offering program with the U.S. SEC  to raise more capital for additional SOL accumulation. Forward Strategies Doubles Down On Solana Strategy In a Wednesday press release, Forward Industries revealed that the 4 billion ATM equity offering program will allow the company to issue and sell common stock via Cantor Fitzgerald under a sales agreement dated Sept. 16, 2025. Forward said proceeds will go toward “general corporate purposes,” including the pursuit of its Solana balance sheet and purchases of income-generating assets. The sales of the shares are covered by an automatic shelf registration statement filed with the US Securities and Exchange Commission that is already effective – meaning the shares will be tradable once they’re sold. An automatic shelf registration allows certain publicly listed companies to raise capital with flexibility swiftly.  Kyle Samani, Forward’s chairman, astutely described the ATM offering as “a flexible and efficient mechanism” to raise and deploy capital for the company’s Solana strategy and bolster its balance sheet.  Advertisement &nbsp Though the maximum amount is listed as $4 billion, the firm indicated that sales may or may not occur depending on existing market conditions. “The ATM Program enhances our ability to continue scaling that position, strengthen our balance sheet, and pursue growth initiatives in alignment with our long-term vision,” Samani said. Forward Industries kicked off its Solana treasury strategy on Sept. 8. The Wednesday S-3 form follows Forward’s $1.65 billion private investment in public equity that closed last week, led by crypto heavyweights like Galaxy Digital, Jump Crypto, and Multicoin Capital. The company started deploying that capital this week, announcing it snatched up 6.8 million SOL for approximately $1.58 billion at an average price of $232…
공유하기
BitcoinEthereumNews2025/09/18 03:42
World Liberty Financial Unveils Institutional RWA Token

World Liberty Financial Unveils Institutional RWA Token

World Liberty Financial (WLFI) has announced plans to launch an institutional-grade real-world asset (RWA) product, starting with a tokenized investment linked
공유하기
Thenewscrypto2026/02/19 17:27